Marketing With A Book™ Summit
How to Dramatically Increase Revenue, Gain Credibility and Attract Clients by Publishing A Book With Built-In Marketing
November 13-14, 2010
Location: La Jolla Shores Hotel, San Diego
($119 room rate for this beachfront hotel) www.ljshoreshotel.com
Saturday 8:30 am to 5 pm
Sunday 8:30 am to 5 pm
Price: $1,000 (but early bird discount of $495 until Oct. 14, 2010)
- Arthur Chou, president of W Business Books
- Mark LeBlanc, past president of National Speakers Association and author of the book “Growing Your Business”
- Will Marre, co-founder and former president of the Covey Leadership Center where he translated the concepts of The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People into powerful leadership courses taught to over one million executives world wide
- Dan Janal of PR LEADS PLUS, author of multiple books on marketing
- Paulette Ensign, million-selling author and multiple sales expert
- Liz Goodgold, author of “Red Fire Branding”
- Helen K. Chang, Time and BusinessWeek reporter and ghostwriter
- Jenny Lemmons, online marketing expert
- Henry DeVries, founder of New Client Marketing Institute, author of “Self-Marketing Secrets” and “Client Seduction”, marketing faculty and assistant dean of UC San Diego continuing education
Who should attend: You’ll benefit the most by attending this program if you are a…
- Management consultant
- Professional service firm
- Executive coach
- Professional speaker
- PR person responsible for consultant and professional service firm marketing
Spots Are Limited
We are only selling 27 seats to this conference and 10 were already taken before we could even launch the Web site. We want this to be a small group so there can be interaction, feedback and a chance for one-on-one time with the presenters. After all spots are sold we will be putting interested people on a waiting list.
8:30 to 9 am – Networking breakfast hosted by Paulette Ensign
9 to 10:15 am – Henry DeVries
“Top 17 Ways to Market With A Book”
Being educational is great, but being persuasive is better. At the conference you will learn strategies and tactics for promoting your business with writing and speaking, including:
- Why you must never write a book without built-in marketing
- Picking topics and titles that attract audiences like magnets
- Tips and tools for getting a marketing ROI of 400% to 2000%
- How to fill your pipeline with qualified prospects in 30 days
- Presentation elements that pre-sell prospects
- How to be a perfect audience bloodhound
- Special strategies for professionals, consultants and coaches
- Seven deadly sins of publishing and speaking and how not to fall prey
- The easiest way to get in front of potential customers
- When to speak for free and when to speak for a fee
- Ideas that don’t cost you a penny yet really get attention
- How to stand out from other authors and speakers
- Creative testimonials in books and speeches that build credibility
- Three ways to turn customer pain into marketing gain
- The quickest sure-fire way to alienate your audience (don’t make this mistake, many of us learned the hard way)
- How to offer freebies that build your list of business leads
- Ways to stay in touch with prospects so you stay on their radar screens
- Books and speeches that create thousands of dollars in publicity
Henry DeVries is the marketing with a book expert. Along with his best-selling books — Self-Marketing Secrets, Client Seduction and Pain Killer Marketing — the buzz building tools of Henry DeVries have been used to dramatically increase marketing results and leverage budgets for more than a decade. In addition to his own writing, he has helped dozens of clients become authors through mentoring or by ghost writing the books for them.
Henry speaks to thousands of executives each year, teaching them new ways to maximize revenues and increase lead generation results through marketing with a book. Henry is also the Career and Workplace Editor for the San Diego News Network and the founder of the New Client Marketing Institute, a research and training firm that focuses on the latest trends in lead generation.
In the past two years he as helped the continuing education arm of UC San Diego grow enrollments in certificate programs by 50%. He is responsible for public relations for 4,600 classes that annually attract 54,000 enrollees and revenue of $35 million. Formerly president of an Ad Age 500 advertising and public relations agency, he teaches public relations and is assistant dean for external affairs at UC San Diego Extension.
10:15 to 10:30 am – Hosted coffee break
10:30 to Noon – Mark LeBlanc
“A New Look At Marketing: The Secrets of Getting Visible and Booking Yourself Solid”
Mark zeros in on four key areas of focus:
To be a successful author and speaker, Mark wants to make sure you are positioned properly and heading in the right direction. His strategies on creating an identity in the marketplace can have immediate impact on success. From a marketing perspective, he’ll share what it takes to get your telephone to ring, and develop repeat business. Everyone knows what it feels like to be focused, but maintaining that focus and momentum is often short-lived. He helps you set up a system (the G.R.O.W. system) for creating a laser-like focus on a daily basis, and prevent you from going off on tangents, disguised as opportunities.
Mark LeBlanc is a member of Master Speakers International, a seasoned-veteran with the National Speakers Association, and currently serves as Past President of the National Speakers Association. He served this association as President in 2007-2008. He was inducted into the Minnesota Speakers Association Hall of Fame in 2006. His style is best described as magnetic, approachable, and laced with a unique sense of humor.
He is President of Small Business Success, based in Minneapolis, MN has special expertise on the core issues that business owners and professionals face on a daily basis. His flagship presentation and book, Growing Your Business! are ideal on addressing how to sell more products and services. People walk away feeling more focused, able to attract more prospects, stimulate more referrals, and ultimately, craft a path and a new plan for generating more business.
LeBlanc has been on his own virtually his entire adult life, owned several businesses, and now speaks, writes, and consults on the street-smart strategies for achieving in times of challenge and change. He is uniquely qualified to address audiences of 5 to 50 to 500, and more, and can deliver an inspirational can-do keynote, a content-rich general session, hands-on workshop, and/or a multi-day program.
Noon to 1:30 pm – No host lunch
1:30 to 3:00 pm – Will Marré
“The Formula for Creating an International Best Seller”
Will Marré is the co-founder and former president of the Covey Leadership Center where he translated the concepts of The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People into powerful leadership courses taught to millions of executives. Today Will is an evangelist of socially strategic enterprise that transforms Corporate Social Responsibility into Corporate Social Opportunity. He will explain:
- How he is passionately helping organizations improve the quality of their people’s lives and accelerate economic and social improvement throughout the world and why he decided to write the book “Save the World and Still be Home for Dinner.”
- Why he is dead serious with a humorous style. He will explain how he connects up-to-minute research with clear insights into a river of powerful ideas. As a leadership expert and an unrelenting advocate for a sustainable future, Will always brings his original ideas, unconventional views and infectious passion – and why you should too.
- How he currently serves as Consulting Director of the Corporate Responsibility Forum at UC San Diego Extension linking civic, non-profit and the business community into a common vision of the future for the San Diego California region.
- How he came to serve on the leadership faculty of UC San Diego Extension, as a visiting Scholar of Social Enterprise at Clemson University and as the Leadership Scholar in Residence of The University of San Diego.
In 2004 Will founded The American Dream Project to ignite leaders of the future to develop and find the ideas, tools and relationships they need to create the next chapter in American and world history. Will recently received an Emmy Award© for writing the learning documentary “Reclaiming Your American Dream” that continues to air on Public Television stations around the country.
Will has been a business leader and consultant for 25 years to world leading companies such as Disney and Procter and Gamble. Now he is on a mission bringing his experience, vision and personal fire to the world to create a future of sustainable abundance.
Using cause marketing with New York Stock Exchange companies to develop social-eco commerce, Will co-founded the Seacology Foundation that has saved nearly 200,000 acres of fragile island eco-systems and rainforests and 2 million acres of coral reefs.
Will is currently on the advisory board of the Human Performance Institute, a new Johnson & Johnson company dedicated to improving health and life satisfaction measures throughout the world. GE has also tapped Will to help them communicate the “green” value of their revolutionary organic LED lights. His personal passion for sustainable business innovation is also helping the renowned Grameen Foundation lift 100’s of millions of people out of grinding poverty through micro-credit.
3:00 to 3:30 pm – Hosted networking break and refreshments
3:30 to 5p Dan Janal
“Publicity Tactics to Take Your Business to the Next Level”
Using publicity to build your expert image is a necessity if you want to create a lucrative and active speaking business that creates a steady stream of income, customers and leads.
More than 95% of journalists search online for their next story idea. During this session you will learn:
- How to ensure your Web site, services and book are found on Google
- How new media and traditional media work together to tell today’s story and create industry-specific experts
- How to be your own online publicist (learn what tools and online resources PR agencies use and the best ways to contact media to get you noticed again and again)
If you’re not in the media talking about your expertise, you’re at a severe disadvantage because the busiest – and wealthiest – of speakers and authors are using publicity to build their businesses and their brand.
Be prepared to have Dan walk you through strategies and tactics to position yourself as a qualified and credible expert in the media – generating the interviews and articles you need in order to garner more exposure and more speaking engagements.
USA TODAY called Dan “a true Internet marketing pioneer.” The Los Angeles Times called Dan, “an Internet Marketing expert.”
Dan Janal is Founder and President of PR LEADS PLUS which has helped more than 3,000 small business and entrepreneurs get publicity in major media to boost their sales and their careers. PR LEADS PLUS has also negotiated deep discounts on a variety of name brand publicity tools to help business consultants get publicity, including media lists and press release distribution.
Dan also offers coaching and consulting for business leaders on the topics of business growth using publicity and Internet marketing.
Dan Janal is one of the most respected teachers, visionaries and entrepreneurs in the publicity community. He was on the PR team that launched AOL. He has consulted with IBM, American Express and The Reader’s Digest, among others. He has written six books for John Wiley & Sons, and has been an in-demand, international speaker for nearly 20 years. Speaking clients include the National Football League, Stanford University and University of California-Berkeley.
He understands publicity as only a former newspaper reporter can. He is an award-winning daily newspaper reporter and business news editor. He has interviewed President Gerald Ford and First Lady Barbara Bush.
Dan lives on a house overlooking a lake in Minnesota with his wife and two cats.
5 pm Optional no-host networking happy hour
6 pm Optional no-host networking dinner
8:30 to 9 am – Networking breakfast hosted by Dan Janal of PR LEADS PLUS
9 to 10:15 am – Jenny Lemmons
“Top Ten Ways To Generate Leads Online”
Are you looking to fill your pipeline with qualified leads using your Web presence? Would you like to simplify the time spent on updating content, social media profiles, sending emails and generating leads? Did you know there’s an easier way?
This session will discuss the top 10 cost-effective methods to drive more traffic to your website and how to convert these visitors into loyal, revenue-generating customers. Gain an overview of how to leverage content syndication, how to cross-sell and up-sell to your existing database, and how to use customer feedback to inspire trust to build your brand and your business faster and more effectively.
Other topics include social media marketing, better utilizing email marketing, search engine optimization, tapping into your eco-system, and much more!
This talk is about a proven process that can produce a 400% to 2000% marketing return on investment for independent professionals and service businesses. We will cover:
- The Top 10 ways to generate leads online that you may be missing
- How not to be a well-kept secret
- The #1 reason most Web sites wimp out
- Why blogging is essential and easier than you think
- Three email strategies that turn cold prospects into warm leads
- Top tricks to untangle the social media headache
- The do’s and don’ts of link-building for search engine results
- your questions and problems in a interactive session
Jenny Lemmons has served as director of marketing at a number of successful firms and was the original founder of Better Way to Say It. Prior to becoming a full-time entrepreneur, Jenny honed her talents developing full-scale marketing plans, successful product launches, and website redesigns for companies of all sizes, from successful start-ups to 90-year-old brands. Her professional background includes Google Certified AdWords expertise, Inbound Marketing Professional Certification and a certificate in Direct Marketing from the DMA. When she’s not extolling the virtues of clear, compelling messaging or simple, findable websites, Jenny can be found enjoying the sunshine from her office in San Diego, California.
10:15 to 10:30 am – Hosted coffee break
10:30 to 11:45 am – Liz Goodgold
“How to Create a Hot Personal Brand”
Learn the super hot secrets and blistering business concepts that have brought success to athletes, authors, consultants, newsmakers and even chefs! Discover how other entrepreneurs and executives have managed to add spice and interest to their brand while winning and keeping new customers and clients. Liz Goodgold, author of the book Red Fire Branding, will share:
- Why you should brand like a celebrity
- How to get your name on everyone’s lips
- 3 steps to creating flawless recall
- The secret to developing a book title that sells!
Liz Goodgold is a marketing and branding expert, speaker, and author, with more than 25 years of experience working for such major companies as Quaker Oats, Times Mirror, and Arco Oil. Currently she is Chief Nuancer and CEO of The Nuancing Group, an identity-consulting firm that helps companies understand the nuances of naming and branding.
11:45 am to 1 pm – Lunch
1 to 2 pm – Author’s Panel Discussion led by Henry DeVries and Helen K. Chang, journalist and ghostwriter
“Building Buzz for Your Business and Book”
Looking for a way to make turnstiles turn and cash registers ring, all at a lower cost than traditional direct mail and advertising? You will learn how to increase marketing productivity and reduce marketing waste at this session, including:
- 27 buzz-building publicity hooks that the media cannot resist
- How to use ghostwriters
- How to find invisible piles of cash and promotion from sponsors
- Top Ten sure bets to generate publicity (and some long shots to avoid)
- Why publicity and sponsorship beats advertising by a 6 to 1 ratio
Helen K. Chang
“As a journalist, my stories have appeared in publications including: Time, BusinessWeek, International Herald Tribune, MSNBC.com, Fodors.com, NuWireInvestor.com, San Francisco Chronicle, San Diego Business Journal and Elle. You can view my journalism work at helenchangwriter.com.
“As a citizen of the world, I hope that my stories might in some small way contribute to goodness on our planet.
“I hold undergraduate and graduate degrees from the University of California at Berkeley. I earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in comparative literature, as well as a Masters of Journalism graduate degree, with an emphasis in business.
“Born and raised in Honolulu, Hawaii, I have traveled and lived throughout the world. I now make my home in San Diego, Calif. “
2 to 3:15 pm – Arthur Chou
“Confessions of A Book Publisher and Speakers Bureau Owner”
Publisher Arthur Chou of WBusiness Books will explain how understanding a publisher’s challenges can give you more realistic expectations. Some of what he will cover includes:
- How to beat the odds (For every 10 books a publisher releases, one will be a blockbuster, two will make some money, two will break even, and five will lose money)
- How to sell a publisher (We invest $50,000-$100,000 for each book we publish. We go through development and comprehensive editorial, copy editing, and proofing editing)
- Why you want a publisher in your corner (We are experienced at creating the book layout and cover design. We print and market the book and the author. We distribute to bookstores. More important, we sell the book rights all over the world, and in some cases, audio, TV, or movie rights)
- How to find the right publisher (Learn what type of books the publisher works with. I have 20-30 people sending me fiction manuscripts-WBusiness Books only publishes business books)
- How to sell yourself (How to submit a good author profile. Publishers like to take on authors that can do media tours or speak on the radio)
- Why the real money is in speaking, not publishing (but you still need a book)
- Why publishers like to work with agents (they know how the business works and filter out many people. They make our job easier)
Arthur Chou is the founder of WBusiness Books. Based in El Monte, California, WBusiness Books, an imprint of New Win Publishing, publishes some of the nation’s premiere business books in the areas of entrepreneurship, leadership, marketing and sales, from some of the country’s leading experts in their field. WBusiness Books Web site can be found at www.wbusinessbooks.com.
3:30 to 4:45 pm – Paulette Ensign
“Leveraging Your Book: Marketing Beyond the Book, Beyond the Single-Copy Sale”
As a professional speaker, consultant, coach, or other small business owner, do you cringe at the idea of marketing your business? Do believe that you’re only a published author once you’ve finished creating that full-length book?
Yes, product development and marketing can be easy and enjoyable. But this session shows you how to market your business and your book with “how-to” tips booklets and related information products. Tips booklets are a small product with a huge impact.
In this session a million-seller author will show you simple and easy ways to transform your knowledge into products to use for marketing and making money, while creating and marketing your books and your business in the process. This entertaining and information-packed session will prompt a new way of thinking about opportunities, many of which are delivered to you throughout your week.
You will learn:
- How to get paid for your business expertise
- Seven ways to leverage your content, while writing your book, into immediately saleable products, with minimal costs if any
- How to identify bulk-sale clients right under your nose
- Why selling 10 copies to one person is NOT a “large-quantity” sale
- How to create licensing rights deals for any product, online or offline
- An easy way to increase profits, whether you like selling or not
Discover how to get a large return on your minimal investment of time and money. Get your juices flowing and your actions moving toward successfully developing and promoting your business with tips booklets and other information products.
Paulette Ensign had no idea she would sell well over one million copies of her 16-page tips booklet, 110 Ideas for Organizing Your Business Life, when she wrote it in 1991. Or that she would do so in four languages and various formats without spending a penny on advertising. Or that she would teach others, worldwide, how to surpass her results in the tips booklets niche she now owns. Nothing in her background of originally teaching string instruments in public elementary schools or becoming a professional organizer seemed to prepare her for that. Yet her can-do attitude triggered and supported those results. She has made a handsome living and a cross-country move from metro New York to a mile from the beach in San Diego by recycling the same 3,500 words since 1991.
Founder and Chief Visionary of www.tipsbooklets.com, Paulette now has more than 30 years of worldwide experience with small business owners, corporations and professional associations in numerous industries.
Paulette added the collaborative Collection of Experts tips booklets to the learning tools and services she has developed, providing an instant product and an instant marketing tool as a supplement or substitute to a person’s individual booklet.
4:45 pm – Adjourn
Testimonials About “Marketing With A Book”
“His marketing knowledge for businesses is exceptional. Henry and his team were instrumental in helping write our first book. Thanks to him and his team this book is in the hands of 10,000 executives so far.”
– Brad Remillard, Impact Hiring Solutions
“Henry’s guidance and expertise was a key reason that my book proposal was accepted by John Wiley & Sons. It resulted in a five-figure advance.”
– Lisa Nirell, Chief Energy Officer, www.EnergizeGrowth.com
“As you promised, I’ve had to do work on my part. But it is work that has yielded far greater results than it could have on my own; this is because of all the work you do, your experience and your systems. We saw 5 times ROI within the first 12 months we began working with you, and with your help we were able to double the size of our business in a little over a year.”
– Steve Fabry, President, Master Manuals, Inc.
“Your ideas in the past year on how to promote our services through educational forums like Webinars have been real winners. These events have boosted sales and helped position us as the thought leaders in our industry. The response rate for these online seminars has ranged from 2.1% to 7.5% and our return on investment to date has been more than 2000%. Your ideas on combining proprietary research on customer relationship management with how-to advice from our senior executives has garnered coverage that really boosts our credibility with potential clients.”
– Natacha Hosy, Harte-Hanks
“My revenues for this year will be at least double to what they were last year. Henry’s program isn’t for the faint of heart. You have to be disciplined and do what he recommends in a systematic way. And you have to add your own brand of magic to the equation. But the lessons you learn will deliver the results he promises if my own experience is any indication.”
– Nancy Juetten, Nancy Juetten Marketing
“As a high performance coach for CEOs, I know high performance when I see it. Thanks to the help of Henry DeVries and the team at the New Client Marketing Institute I was able to add more than $100,000 in additional income in two years.”
– Boaz Rauchwerger, Speaker, Trainer, Consultant and Author
“Indeed an alluring process to attract prospects cost-effectively and rapidly. This is an ideal resource for the entrepreneur beginning any type of professional services firm.”
– Alan Weiss, author of Million-Dollar Consulting
What You Will Learn
The best marketing investment you can make is to get help creating informative Web sites, hosting persuasive seminars, booking speaking engagements, and getting published as a newsletter – columnist and eventually book author.
Rather than creating a brochure, start by writing how-to articles. Those articles turn into speeches and seminars. Eventually, you gather the articles and publish a book through a strategy called print on demand self publishing (we’ve done it under 90 days and for less than a $1,000 for clients). Does it work? Here are a list of business best-seller titles by professionals and consultants that started out self-published (Source: Southwest Airlines Spirit, March 2005):
- The One Minute Manager by Kenneth Blanchard and Spencer Johnson: picked up by William Morrow & Co. and has sold more than 12 million copies
- In Search of Excellence by Tom Peters (of McKinsey & Co.): in its first year, sold more than 25,000 copies directly to consumers—then Warner sold 10 million more.
- Leadership Secrets of Attila the Hun by Weiss Roberts: sold half a million copies before being picked up by Warner.
Wouldn’t it be better if someone helped you who knows the tricks and shortcuts? We can show you how to leverage your time and get others to do most of the work for you, even if you are a solo practitioner.
If you are not satisfied by the end of the first day, just ask for a full refund. We will give it to you without any hassles.
How To Register
Please call Henry at 800-514-4467 with questions.
$1,000 per person
$495 early bird discount until October 14, 2010
Register with Paypal here
(You do not need a Paypal account to register)