Agenda for Marketing With A Book Summit
February 25-26, 2011
3 to 9 pm Friday, 9 am to 3 pm Saturday
La Jolla Shores Hotel, La Jolla, California
$795 summit cost
$495 early bird price until February 7, 2011
Friday dinner and Saturday lunch included
(Rooms at oceanfront La Jolla Shores Hotel
@ $149 discount room rate)
|Friday February 25|
|2:30 to 3 pm||Registration|
|3 to 4:20 pm||New Client Marketing: Top 14 Proven Ways to Attract High-Paying Clients by Writing and Speaking||Henry DeVries, Marketing Scientist and Ghostwriter|
|4:30 to 5:50 pm||Growing Your Business by Writing and Speaking||Mark LeBlanc, author and past president of National Speakers Association|
|6 to 7:20 pm||Science of Storytelling Dinner: Tell Us Your Story||Facilitated by Henry DeVries
Meal Hosted by: Small Business Success
|7:30 to 9 pm||Building a Better Bio: Bye Bye Boring Bios||Nancy Juetten, author of the Bye Bye Boring Bio action guide and publicity expert|
|Saturday February 26|
|6:30 to 7:30 am||Optional morning hike||Led by Henry DeVries, meet in lobby at 6:25 am|
|7:30 to 9 am||Free time, breakfast on your own|
|9 am to 10:20 am||Books As Marketing Tools: Insider Secrets from the Man Who Has Averaged a Volume Book Sale Each Week for the Last 500 Weeks (10 Years!||Mark LeBlanc|
|10:30 am to 11:50 am||Branding: How to Build a Red Hot Brand||Liz Goodgold, author of Red Fire Branding and marketing expert|
|Noon to 1 pm||Title and Topic Testing: Time to Try On Titles and Topics Lunch — How to Test Before Typing and Talking||Panel moderated by Henry DeVries, includes feedback from publishers and the media
Meal Hosted by: Mar Muyco Design
|1 pm to 2 pm||Building Your Book Blueprint with Built-in Marketing and Publicity||Working session led by Henry DeVries|
|2:10 to 3 pm||Social Media: The Lazy Man’s Way to Social Media: Top Ten Ways to Promote Yourself Online||Henry DeVries|
|3 to 6 pm||Free time|
|6 pm||Totally optional no-host networking dinner at Piattis, short walk from hotel||All invited, make reservations with Henry DeVries|
|Friday, 3 to 4:20 pm||New Client Marketing: Top 14 Proven Ways to Attract High-Paying Clients by Writing and Speaking||Henry DeVries, Marketing Scientist and Ghostwriter|
Being educational is great, but being persuasive is better. At the conference you will learn strategies and tactics for promoting your business with writing and speaking, including:
- Why you must never write a book without built-in marketing
- Picking topics and titles that attract audiences like magnets
- Tips and tools for getting a marketing ROI of 400% to 2000%
- How to fill your pipeline with qualified prospects in 30 days
- Presentation elements that pre-sell prospects
- How to be a perfect audience bloodhound
- Special strategies for professionals, consultants and coaches
- Seven deadly sins of publishing and speaking and how not to fall prey
- The easiest way to get in front of potential customers
- When to speak for free and when to speak for a fee
- Ideas that don’t cost you a penny yet really get attention
- How to stand out from other authors and speakers
- Creative testimonials in books and speeches that build credibility
- Three ways to turn customer pain into marketing gain
- The quickest sure-fire way to alienate your audience (don’t make this mistake, many of us learned the hard way)
- How to offer freebies that build your list of business leads
- Ways to stay in touch with prospects so you stay on their radar screens
- Books and speeches that create thousands of dollars in publicity
Henry DeVries, Marketing Scientist
Henry DeVries is an expert on typing and talking: how to maximize revenues by writing books and giving seminars. He speaks to thousands of service professionals each year, teaching them successful tactics that bring them new clients. Along with his best-selling books — Self-Marketing Secrets, Client Seduction, and Pain Killer Marketing — the buzz building tools of Henry DeVries have been used to dramatically increase revenues and leverage marketing budgets for two decades. In addition to authoring his own books, he ghostwrites at least four books a year. Unlike other marketing coaches and business book ghostwriters, he is a university researcher and educator (assistant dean for continuing education at UC San Diego) with publishing connections and a scientifically-tested proprietary book creation process. His motto: “Trust me, I’m a book doctor.” He literally helps people translate the expertise in their heads into words on paper that attract clients and profitable speaking engagements like an electromagnet. He is the founder of the New Client Marketing Institute and his goal is to win the Nobel Prize in Marketing.
|Friday, 4:30 to 5:50 pm||Growing Your Business by Writing and Speaking||Mark LeBlanc, author and past president of National Speakers Association|
Mark zeros in on four key areas of focus:
To be a successful author and speaker, Mark wants to make sure you are positioned properly and heading in the right direction. His strategies on creating an identity in the marketplace can have immediate impact on success. From a marketing perspective, he’ll share what it takes to get your telephone to ring, and develop repeat business. Everyone knows what it feels like to be focused, but maintaining that focus and momentum is often short-lived. He helps you set up a system (the G.R.O.W. system) for creating a laser-like focus on a daily basis, and prevent you from going off on tangents, disguised as opportunities.
Mark LeBlanc is a member of Master Speakers International, a seasoned-veteran with the National Speakers Association, and currently serves as Past President of the National Speakers Association. He served this association as President in 2007-2008. He was inducted into the Minnesota Speakers Association Hall of Fame in 2006. His style is best described as magnetic, approachable, and laced with a unique sense of humor.
He is President of Small Business Success, based in Minneapolis, MN has special expertise on the core issues that business owners and professionals face on a daily basis.
|Friday, 6 to 7:20 pm||Science of Storytelling Dinner: Tell Us Your Story||Facilitated by Henry DeVries
Meal Hosted by: Small Business Success
|Friday, 7:30 to 9 pm||Building a Better Bio: Bye Bye Boring Bios||Nancy Juetten, author of the Bye Bye Boring Bio action guide and publicity expert|
With 27 million people doing business in Free Agent Nation, many solopreneurs want to get known as experts. Do-It-Yourself Publicity Expert and Bye-Bye Boring Bio Author Nancy Juetten says many are just not prepared for their moment in the spotlight. As a result, they suffer lost opportunities to attract clients, speaking gigs, and media interviews.
“The gap between what aspiring experts want and their readiness to step up, stand out and shine in their own light is a huge hurdle that stands between opportunity and prosperity,” Juetten says. To ease that pain, today Juetten shares eight questions to ask and answer to find out how ready they are to welcome expert status.
- My head shot looks great and looks like my current reflection in the mirror.
- I have a link to my compelling short bio on my website or blog to share with every media query, pitch, and opportunity I seek.
- When CNN Radio or NPR Radio call, my two-sentence radio introduction and my five favorite questions to be asked and answered are ready to share at a moment’s notice.
- My teleseminar packet is ready to share with my joint venture partners to set the stage for an amazing presentation, earn a “wow” reaction, and invite repeat visits.
- My most popular and in-demand speaking topic shows up as a bold headline on my speaker page.
- I have a compelling speaker introduction that captures attention and brings people to their feet before I speak my first word.
- My Twitter profile is alive with personality and credibility.
- My “bio box” for online article submissions makes it easy and compelling for readers to opt-in to my ezine, rush to get my special report, and become a fan and follower of my work.
Juetten says that thoughtful preparation can save aspiring experts valuable time. Most importantly, preparation can offer relief from last minute scrambling, message point SOS, panic, worry, and aggravation that can accompany unexpected invitations to respond to inquiries from prospects, meeting planners, and interview opportunities from the media in their own backyards and beyond.
In addition to learning how to create a bio that isn’t boring, during this session you will learn:
- How to ensure your Web site, services and book are found on Google
- How new media and traditional media work together to tell today’s story and create industry-specific experts
- How to be your own online publicist (learn what tools and online resources PR agencies use and the best ways to contact media to get you noticed again and again)
If you’re not in the media talking about your expertise, you’re at a severe disadvantage because the busiest – and wealthiest – of speakers and authors are using publicity to build their businesses and their brand.
Nancy is the author of Bye-Bye Boring Bio: Attract Clients, Speaking Gigs and Media Interviews Now. The book, now in its second edition, points out the most common “bio blunders”, and shows readers how to give their own bio an honest assessment. Nancy has spoken to thousands of business owners through radio interviews, teleseminars, and workshops about how to upgrade their bios to attract clients, speaking gigs, and media interviews.
|Saturday, 9 am to 10:20 am||Books As Marketing Tools: Insider Secrets from the Man Who Has Averaged a Volume Book Sale Each Week for the Last 500 Weeks (10 Years!||Mark LeBlanc|
Would you like to sell books by the case? Mark LeBlanc’s flagship presentation and book, Growing Your Business! have proven ideal on addressing how to sell more products and services. People walk away feeling more focused, able to attract more prospects, stimulate more referrals, and ultimately, craft a path and a new plan for generating more business. Not only that, they buy books by the case. He has averaged a sale of 50 or 25 books every week for 10 years.
Mark is not famous, well-educated or newsworthy. He has been on his own virtually his entire adult life, owned several businesses, and now speaks, writes, and consults on the street-smart strategies for achieving in times of challenge and change. He is worked to be uniquely qualified to address audiences of 5 to 50 to 500, and more, and can deliver an inspirational can-do keynote, a content-rich general session, hands-on workshop, and/or a multi-day program. He is an open book on how you can do the same. Mark says if he can do it, anyone can.
|Saturday, 10:30 am to 11:50 am||Branding: How to Create a Hot Personal Brand||Liz Goodgold, author of Red Fire Branding and marketing expert|
Learn the super hot secrets and blistering business concepts that have brought success to athletes, authors, consultants, newsmakers and even chefs! Discover how other entrepreneurs and executives have managed to add spice and interest to their brand while winning and keeping new customers and clients. Liz Goodgold, author of the book Red Fire Branding, will share:
- Why you should brand like a celebrity
- How to get your name on everyone’s lips
- 3 steps to creating flawless recall
- The secret to developing a book title that sells!
Liz Goodgold is a marketing and branding expert, speaker, and author, with more than 25 years of experience working for such major companies as Quaker Oats, Times Mirror, and Arco Oil. Currently she is Chief Nuancer and CEO of The Nuancing Group, an identity-consulting firm that helps companies understand the nuances of naming and branding.
|Saturday, Noon to 1 pm||Title and Topic Testing: Time to Try On Titles and Topics Lunch — How to Test Before Typing and Talking||Panel moderated by Henry DeVries, includes feedback from publishers and the media|
|Saturday, 1 pm to 2 pm||Building Your Book Blueprint with Built-in Marketing and Publicity||Working session led by Henry DeVries, joined by journalist and ghostwriter Helen Chang|
This is your opportunity to test speech and book titles with our panel of experts. In this interactive session you will be walked through a blueprint for creating books and speeches with built in marketing and publicity opportunities. Looking for a way to make turnstiles turn and cash registers ring, all at a lower cost than traditional direct mail and advertising? You will learn how to increase marketing productivity and reduce marketing waste at this session, including:
- 27 buzz-building publicity hooks that the media cannot resist
- How to use ghostwriters
- How to find invisible piles of cash and promotion from sponsors
- Top Ten sure bets to generate publicity (and some long shots to avoid)
- Why publicity and sponsorship beats advertising by a 6 to 1 ratio
Helen K. Chang
“As a journalist, my stories have appeared in publications including: Time, BusinessWeek, International Herald Tribune, MSNBC.com, Fodors.com, NuWireInvestor.com, San Francisco Chronicle, San Diego Business Journal and Elle. You can view my journalism work at helenchangwriter.com.
“As a citizen of the world, I hope that my stories might in some small way contribute to goodness on our planet.
“I hold undergraduate and graduate degrees from the University of California at Berkeley. I earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in comparative literature, as well as a Masters of Journalism graduate degree, with an emphasis in business.
“Born and raised in Honolulu, Hawaii, I have traveled and lived throughout the world. I now make my home in San Diego, Calif. “
|Saturday, 2:10 to 3 pm||Social Media: The Lazy Man’s Way to Social Media: Top Ten Ways to Promote Yourself Online||Henry DeVries, who has taught Web Marketing and Social Media Marketing at UC San Diego|
This session is based on Henry’s upcoming book — The Lazy Man’s Way to Social Media: Top Ten Ways to Promote Yourself Online. Are you looking to fill your pipeline with qualified leads using your Web presence? Would you like to simplify the time spent on updating content, social media profiles, sending emails and generating leads? Did you know there’s an easier way?
This session will discuss the top 10 cost-effective methods to drive more traffic to your website and how to convert these visitors into loyal, revenue-generating customers. Gain an overview of how to leverage content syndication, how to cross-sell and up-sell to your existing database, and how to use customer feedback to inspire trust to build your brand and your business faster and more effectively.
Other topics include social media marketing, better utilizing email marketing, search engine optimization, tapping into your eco-system, and much more!
This talk is about a proven process that can produce a 400% to 2000% marketing return on investment for independent professionals and service businesses. We will cover:
- The Top 10 ways to generate leads online that you may be missing
- How not to be a well-kept secret
- The #1 reason most Web sites wimp out
- Why blogging is essential and easier than you think
- Three email strategies that turn cold prospects into warm leads
- Top tricks to untangle the social media headache
- The do’s and don’ts of link-building for search engine results
- your questions and problems in a interactive session
Adjourn Saturday at 3 pm
Pre-Work and Some of What We Will Be Working On
|Marketing DNA Tools||Length||Your Thoughts|
|7-second hook||11 words or less, attention grabber|
|Defining statement||Simple answer to the question: What do you do? (your name, company you run, who you help and what outcomes – all in two sentences, 35 words or less)|
|Paragraph||Answer to the questions: tell me more? Or, how do you do that?|
|Book titles||Short and snappy|
|Speech titles||Short and snappy|
|No more than one page, less than 200 words|